Areas Of Expertise
- J.D., Cum Laude, University of Dayton School of Law
- B.A., Miami University
- American Bar Association
- Ohio Bar Association
- Dayton Bar Association
ShareholderTom J. Whalen
Tom views his practice through an entrepreneurial lens, with a focus on providing pragmatic advice to help clients build and grow their businesses. Tom represents a wide range of businesses and entrepreneurs across a broad spectrum of industries and professions.
Tom’s clients often share that they appreciate that he “speaks their language.” Tom’s practice is relationship-driven, often growing organically by referrals from other satisfied clients. When working with his clients, Tom’s goals are to (1) recognize meaningful details without losing sight of the big picture, (2) keep the client’s objectives at the forefront, (3) maximize efficiency, and (4) communicate in straight-forward, understandable terms.
Professional Experience / Focus Areas
Tom represents a diverse mix of clients ranging from start-ups to large and closely-held businesses, including both profit and not-for-profit entities. While Tom has experience in many aspects of general corporate and contract law, his passion resides in helping entrepreneurs implement long-term strategies that ultimately result in increased enterprise value for their businesses.
Tom is a commercial contracts “sharpshooter.” He manages the firm’s commercial contracts team, which provides cost-effective and custom contract management, review, and negotiation services for the firm’s enterprise clients needing contracts support. Tom also assists the firm in handlings all of its banking relationships.
Tom’s practice primarily focuses on the following areas of law and business:
- Entrepreneurship and Start-ups
- Business and Commercial Transactions
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Contract Review and Preparation
- Business Formation, Operation, and Maintenance
- Non-Profit and Tax Exempt Organizations / 501(c)(3)
- Employment and Contractor Relationships
- Health Care
- Real Estate and Leasing
- Creditors’ Rights and Creditor Protection
- Licensing and soft intellectual property
- Sports and Entertainment Law
Tom and his wife, Breanne, met in law school, were married in 2011, and have three children. Tom is an avid and loyal Dayton Flyers basketball fan. Tom’s guiding principles are Loyalty, Integrity, and Trustworthiness.
- Dayton Business Journal 40 Under 40 honoree
- Miami University Alumni Award (2016) - "18 of the Last 9"
- Ohio Rising Stars List (2018-2019)
Community Board Affiliations
- County Corp (Trustee, Secretary)
- Dayton Art Institute Planned Giving Counsel (Member)
- University of Dayton Alumni Board of Trustees (Trustee)
- Big Brothers Big Sisters - Miami Valley (General Counsel)
- The A.R.M.S. Foundation (Secretary, General Counsel)