- J.D., Summa Cum Laude, University of Dayton School of Law
- B.A, University of Dayton
- Dayton Bar Association
- Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
AssociateJoanna W. Gisel
Joanna is an associate in SS+D’s Litigation Department. She joined the firm as a Summer Associate in 2019 and 2020, and she returned full-time in 2021 after finishing law school. Joanna is prepared to serve her clients with dedication and passion along every step of the process. She is admitted to the Bar in Ohio, as well as the Southern District of Ohio.
Professional Experience / Focus Areas
Joanna works with the firm’s general Civil Litigation Group, serving in almost every area, including business litigation, complex civil litigation, employment litigation, and criminal defense.
Joanna is a Daytonian through and through. She was raised in Centerville and graduated summa cum laude from the University of Dayton in 2018 with a Bachelor’s Degree in International Studies and a minor in Philosophy.
She then graduated first in her class and summa cum laude from the University of Dayton School of Law (UDSL) in 2021 with a concentration in Human and Civil Rights.
During law school, Joanna was heavily involved in academic and other organizations. She served as a Comment Editor for the University of Dayton Law Review, and her comment Lessons Learned: A Successful and Balanced Framework for Post-Conflict Transitional Justice in Myanmar was selected for publication.
Joanna was also a member of the UDSL Moot Court Team, competing in oral advocacy and legal writing competitions. Finally, Joanna was a member of the UDSL Honor Council, Leadership Honors Program, and served in succession as Vice President and President of the Human Rights Awareness and Advocacy Group.
While not serving her clients, Joanna enjoys hiking, yoga, exploring Dayton’s restaurants and breweries, and spending time with friends and family, her husband, Ben, and their cat, Meg.
- Best Brief, UDSL Walter H. Rice Moot Court Competition, 2019
- CALI Awards (highest grade in a law school class): Civil Procedure I and II, Torts I, Legal Profession I and II, Criminal Law, Legislation, Contracts Law II, International Law, Appellate Practice and Procedure, Fundamentals of Evidence, Professional Responsibility, Criminal Procedure, Civil Trial Practice, Wills and Trusts, Bar Practice and Process, Social Justice Capstone, and Civil Law Clinic.